Monday, January 30, 2012

Local Charging Stations

Most folks, myself included, have assumed that our country will need to build a new infrastructure if electric cars are going to become viable. The truth is that every home already has electricity. There are many other options, too. Many offices and retail locations have an outlet that can be used to charge an electric car. Every 7-11 has an ice machine and a spare outlet. I actually used that once before I felt comfortable that I'd reach my destination.

The nearest Park & Ride in Hamilton has 5 charging stations and each can charge two cars at once. That's $1.44 per "fill up". Every Nissan dealer offers free charging. The local Smart dealer has two free ones. Washington, DC just installed 80 of them. Individual EV (electric vehicle) owners even offer their own home outlets via the PlugShare network. Here are some maps showing availability.

ChargePoint



SemaCharge



PlugShare (our home is in the upper left corner)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea there were so many. I'll track down those URL's and search for MY address. :-)


    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. No tracking required. Each map title is a link.

    ReplyDelete